The Former Hiyama Nishi Subprefectural Hall (Esashi Town Museum)
This museum was repurposed from a subprefectural hall that was built in 1887. The building has been designated as a Tangible Cultural Property of Hokkaido.
The Esashi Town Basic Vision for Historic and Cultural Resources, developed in 2017, focuses on the town’s historic and cultural resources in terms of four characteristics.
(1) Historic and cultural resources based on geographical features centering on Kamome Island
(2) Historic and cultural resources based on the culture that was introduced from Honshu, Japan’s main island, and was adapted to the climate of Esashi
(3) Historic and cultural resources with integrated tangible and intangible elements
(4) Historic and cultural resources that have become integral to the daily rhythms of local residents and that are still enjoyed by them
This museum displays exhibits not in chronological order or by field, but narratively based on the four characteristics listed above.
Visitors to Esashi are welcome to learn about the historic and cultural resources of the town at this museum.
- Nakauta-cho 112, Esashi-cho, Hiyama-gun, Hokkaido, 043-0034
9:00 – 17:00
Mondays and the day following national holidays between November 1 and March 31, and the year-end and New Year’s holidays
– April to October: Open every day
• Regular tickets:
Adults: ¥300; Elementary, junior high and high school students: ¥100 (10% off for groups of 15 or more)
• Joint ticket to the Former Nakamura Family Merchant House, the Former Hiyama Nishi Subprefectural Hall (Esashi Town Museum), and the Former Sekikawa Family Villa
Adults: ¥500; Elementary, junior high and high school students: ¥150 (No group discounts available)
– The Former Sekikawa Family Villa is closed from November to March.
• Admission is free for the following people.
– Residents of Esashi Town and Kaminokuni Town
– Seniors 70+
– Holders of a disability certificate or the like
– Users of a social welfare facility in Esashi Town and one accompanying person per user
- Official website
- Wheelchair accessibility
Parking Accessible restroom Slopes Nursing room Wheelchairs available upon request Unavailable Available Unavailable Unavailable Unavailable