This museum exhibits local historical materials, including coins excavated from medieval remains in the Shinori area of Hakodate, which constitute the largest coin hoard found to date in Japan and are collectively designated as a National Important Cultural Property. Other exhibits include items collected by the museum from the Meiji period, genre paintings of indigenous Ainu people, and materials on the 1854 American expedition led by Commodore Perry to Hakodate, the Battle of Hakodate, and the Great Fire of Hakodate.
The museum is nestled in the quiet Hakodate Park in the proximity of the Old Hakodate Museum No. 1 (Hokkaido Development Commission Hakodate Provisional Museum), which opened in 1879 and is the oldest existing museum building in Japan, and the Old Hakodate Museum No. 2, which opened in 1884. The area with these museums is ideal for strolls during the cherry blossom and autumn foliage seasons.
- Aoyagi-cho 17-1, Hakodate, Hokkaido
April – October: 9:00 – 16:30
itors who enter the museum by 16:30 can view exhibits until 17:00.)
November – March: 9:00 – 16:00
(Visitors who enter the museum by 16:00 can view exhibits until 16:30.)
• Mondays and the last Friday of each month (except special exhibition periods)
• National holidays except the period of Golden Week and Culture Day (November 3)
• The year-end and New Year’s holidays (December 29 – January 3)
• Periods when exhibits are changed, and unscheduled closed days For details, see the calendar on the museum website.
– Admission is free for preschoolers.
– ¥50 for seniors 65+ living in Hakodate
– Admission is free for elementary and junior high school students living in or attending school in Hakodate.
– Admission is free for residents of Hakodate with physical/mental disabilities and one accompanying person.
– 20% off for groups of 10 or more
– Admission is free on Sundays during the permanent exhibition days.
– Students, seniors, and people with disabilities are asked to present their ID.
Different fees (about ¥300 for adults) apply.
For details, see the museum website or inquire by phone.
- Official website
- Wheelchair accessibility
Parking Accessible restroom Slopes Nursing room Wheelchairs available upon request Unavailable Unavailable Unavailable Unavailable Available