The Former Nakamura Family Merchant House
This mercantile building complex faces Inishie Road, the main street of Esashi Town. It was designated as a National Important Cultural Property 1971.
The complex consists of four structures: a main house, a warehouse that includes a library, a second warehouse (shimono-kura), and a third warehouse (hanedashi) where ships could anchor to load and unload goods. Characteristically, these structures stand in a line on a gently descending slope from Inishie Road toward the seashore.
Visitors can tour inside the building complex and view materials regarding herring fishery and trade by the kitamaebune merchant ships that traveled between Hokkaido and Osaka.
- Nakauta-cho 22, Esashi-cho, Hiyama-gun, Hokkaido, 043-0034
9:00 – 17:00
Mondays and the day following national holidays between November 1 and March 31, and the year-end and New Year’s holidays
– April to October: Open every day
• Regular tickets:
Adults: ¥300; Elementary, junior high and high school students: ¥100 (10% off for groups of 15 or more)
• Joint ticket to the Former Nakamura Family Merchant House, the Former Hiyama Nishi Subprefectural Hall (Esashi Town Museum), and the Former Sekikawa Family Villa
Adults: ¥500; Elementary, junior high and high school students: ¥150 (No group discounts available)
– The Former Sekikawa Family Villa is closed from November to March.
• Admission is free for the following people.
– Residents of Esashi Town and Kaminokuni Town
– Seniors 70+
– Holders of a disability certificate or the like
– Users of a social welfare facility in Esashi Town and one accompanying person per user
- Official website
- Wheelchair accessibility
Parking Accessible restroom Slopes Nursing room Wheelchairs available upon request Unavailable Unavailable Unavailable Unavailable Unavailable